Sunday, August 23, 2009

Academics

As I started to touch on in my previous post, academics are emphasized at the Division I level. At my Division I institution there are strict rules regarding academics.
  • An athletes entire first year on campus, they are required to clock in 8 hours per week in the athletic study building.
  • That first year, they are also required to meet with an academic advisor once a week.
  • If after the first year the student-athlete has above a 3.0 gpa, they are no longer required to get hours.
  • If a student-athlete is caught cheating, their scholarship is revoked.
It is a stereotype that Division I athletes get into their institutions and get a free ride to a diploma. I know most universities are similar to mine, where academics is actually a priority and the student-athletes have to work just as hard, if not harder, to earn their respected degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment