Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Recruiting

Personally, I think that recruiting is based on about 25% skill and 75% luck. Division I coaches put so much time and effort into the recruiting process. They spend so much time analyzing prospective student athletes, when really they have no idea what they are really getting.

When you look at some Division I teams, you can pick out the athletes that ended up there by luck. Most likely, they played a phenomenal game when the coach was there watching, and with that one good game earned that college scholarship. I think college coaches stress too much on recruiting, because really, they have no idea what they are truly getting.

There is a lot you can do to help yourself get recruited. You can make highlight videos and send them to coaches, you can write letters, emails, and make some phone calls. The more the coach hears your name the more they will recognize if you have accomplished something great. There are Division I showcases for a lot of sports, particularly baseball, softball, and track. Camps are also a great place to show your skills while getting a chance to work with your possible future coach.

My experience with recruiting was kind of a whirlwind. My coaches saw me in action 1 time before I arrived on campus. The rest was by word of mouth. I did not play for the highest ranked travel team, and I never went to any recruiting camps, etc. This has just proved to me, that you don't have to pour money into doing everything possible to get recruited.

Athletes today are so focused on getting that scholarship that I think they are losing sight of why they are really playing the game. I can tell you, that if you do not love what you are doing, college will be a very long 4 years. The amount of time that you will have to put into your sport is not going to be worth it if you are miserable the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment