I am writing this blog as a semester long class project for Accounting 255. Throughout the next few months I will be discussing NCAA Division I athletics.
I am going to start with a brief history of the NCAA:
- First called the IAAUS, the organization was officially constituted on March 31, 1906.
- The organization changed their name to the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletics Association) in 1910.
- The first national championship was held in track and field.
- The national headquarters is located in Kansas City, Missouri.
- World War II brought about the "sanity code," which established rules for recruiting and financial aid.
- The NCAA was divided into 3 divisions (I, II, III) in 1973.
- Women's athletics became a part of the NCAA in 1980.
All of this information and more can be found at www.ncaa.com